Friday, April 6, 2007

Miss Van and Fafi - different, yet...

Doing one of my frequent Google searches on Miss Van, I came across a blog that had comments on her work going a few years back.

Now, I have a *lot* of photo's of Miss Van's work, pictures that I've taken or acquired, and some of them are available for sale on graffitipix.com. Needless to say, I'm a true fan of Miss Van. I think her characters are sexy, sophisticated, and her work has evolved pleasingly.

I can say exactly the same for Fafi. And having looked at *so many* Miss Van and Fafi images, though similar in that they both paint girls and cute creatures, everyone is strikingly different.

Of course, not everyone feels the same way. I know this. Still, it was interesting to read some of the comments:

  • "Her stuff looks like Fafi’s artwork. And thats not good to begin with."
  • "I can see a similar inspiration in both Miss Van, and Fafi’s works, but one can see that Miss Van has a far better feel for the paint and her mark making…not to mention color. I wouldn’t even compare the two."
  • "I knew of Miss Van before Fafi…I think it’s a case of great minds thinking alike."
  • "i like em both, but yeah.. they get balled into the same person quite a bit."
  • "Indeed Miss Van has been painting a bit longer than Fafi, and it shows. Miss Van’s linework has more of a sophistication to it, with a greater handling of the stylized characters and colors than Fafi."

'Course when you really consider...

  • "Interestingly enough, both are from the same area of Paris, in Toulouse, so I’m sure that they know each other."
Opinions, they're like &%$#% - everyone's got one. Anyway you look at it though, no one can argue, that they both produce Serious Art!

Molly

No comments: